Your Medicine Plan
If you take diabetes medicine, work with your health care provider to create your personal medicine plan. Starting on diabetes medicine may be a lot to handle at first. But it’s important for you to know how to take your diabetes medicine and follow the instructions exactly as directed.
Your plan will tell you:
1. What type of diabetes medicine to take
2. How much to take
3. When to take it
Your plan will be based on:
- Your current blood sugar level
- What, when, and how much you eat
- Your level of physical activity
- Your lifestyle
Your need for diabetes medicine goes up and down all day and depends on different things. For instance:
- You may need more medicine at mealtimes
- You may need less medicine when you are exercising or between meals
Your health care provider will help you develop a medicine plan that’s right for you. Be sure to check with your health care provider before you make any changes in your doses of diabetes medicine.